Friday, October 9, 2009

Movie Review: The Nanny Diaries(2007)


I expected something completely different than what I was expecting for this movie. What I was expecting is what the trailer made it come off as-a light-hearted, warm, chick flick about the comical horrors of nannyhood. The reality is a depressing movie about what goes on behind the plastic-surgeoned smiles of the rich and famous and how their spawn suffer.
Check out the trailer here:


Annie Braddock, played by Scarlett Johansson, is trying to figure out who she is and where she's going. She takes up what she believes is just a temporary job as a nanny for one the uptown, snot-nosed wealthy families. She forms a special bond with Grayer, the child she nannies, and in turn, finds her true self and her values.

This movie was not light-hearted, but it did have a few funny parts(most of them-correction-ALL of them-are in the trailer). The rest of the movie dealt with affairs, divorce, child neglect, and losing people you love.

In the end, I would not recommend this movie. While the ending was cute and happy, the rest of the movie was dark and depressing. I wouldnt' have finished it had it not been for the need to see the happy ending that I knew was coming.
Don't watch it.

2 comments:

Shela said...

Aww hahah I love how you're like "DON'T WATCH IT." I can already picture you staring-- err, glaring-- intently at someone while you're saying it.

I hate these types of trailers, they trick you! Like Sweeney Todd! You would have thought that it's be a comedy/horror flick, but it was a dark and gory musical! I never expected that. And on top of it, I nearly puked when my friend ordered chicken pot pie the next day.

:P

Alanna said...

And my hands are gesturing like a crazy person when I say it(becuase I wave my hands too much for emphasis)

I wanted to see Sweeney Todd back when it first came out,but the more I heard about it, the more I was like,"This is NOT my type of movie"(despite the Johnny-ness)