Sunday, October 11, 2009

Negativity, Electrical Storms, Psychological Studies,and Changing the World


The over abundance of negativity has been on my mind lately. I am generally a positive, glass half-full, silver-lining person and it's become clear to me lately that I might be one of the few people like that left! I think negativity has become such a normal thing that we don't even realize when someone says something negative. This incredibly annoying girl that I cannot escape was the one to first spark this idea in my mind. Every word out of her mouth is something rude or negative. Her inability to be impressed or interested in anything is just annoying and just brings you down. She's a downer. She says just plain rude, mean-spirited things to me that make me wonder what happened to her in her childhood that caused her to be this way.
You're probably wondering why it is that I'm telling you this, no? It's because I want every person who reads this to be more aware of the negativity around them and what they emit. Be aware of how it affects the people around you and how it affects your overall mood. Silver lining is the way to go. You'll never be disappointed. Disappointment is a bad feeling and I like to do everything I can to avoid it. Shouldn't everyone? People are always wondering why we Americans use so many anti-depressants-here's your answer.

On to happier topics, I wanted to share my favorite music video with everyone. It was only about a week ago that I finally watched the whole video, though I've known the song for a while. It's a beautiful, breathtaking video from U2 for the song "Electrical Storm". For those of you wondering, the man is Larry Mullen Jr., the drummer for U2, and the girl is Samantha Morton, a British actress. No, they aren't a couple and they never were, but they have a great chemistry that makes this video magical. Oh, and did I mention that Larry is incredibly hot and that Samantha Morton is my new girl crush? If that's not enough motive to go watch it, I don't know what is.Enjoy!


So, in case you haven't noticed, I've become fascinated with human nature. Just for fun, I decided to start a little mini-study of people's minds(without them knowing). I've been asking questions in my facebook status' and checking out people's replies. Here's an example:

If you could be transported anywhere in time, where would you go?

The first response was:
"to a world where war, and stupidity didnt exist."

The second was:
"to the middle of the bloodiest conflict ever"

Can you tell which one was a girl and which was a guy?
Anyway, I've only been doing this for like, two days, so I haven't made any big conclusions yet. But if I remember, I will try to post some sort of result within the next week.

Last, but definitely not least, changing the world. Easier said than done. In the words of the Notorious B.I.G.,"Before we can change the world, we have to change ourselves."
I can't describe how inspiring the U2 concert was. This may sounds silly, but it changed my life. Bono is my idol and seeing what he's been doing his whole career to benefit people in 3rd world countries is just astonishing and incredibly inspiring. I've decided to try to immerse myself in charity like he's done. I'm going to go with my family's church to feed the homeless every saturday starting a couple weeks(because I have plans that cannot be changed for the next two weeks) and I'm hoping on doing some more charity work. I have so much time on my hands on the weekend that I use for virtually nothing. Why not help someone?
I'm not sure how these changes in character are supposed to occur. Are they fast, like mine? Or do they take time? Regardless, I hope to change at least one person's life for the better. I also hope to inspire others to do the same.

P.S. It's weird how many semi-naked girls show up when you type in "charity" on google images. I love that Bono and Ali Hewson show up, though :)

Well, guys, thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Shela said...

Electrical Storms is an addictive song! I've been listenning to Late Night Alumni lately and their more mellow songs really get me going.

Anyhoo, hello my dearest! It's been a long time since my last comment post on here-- probably a month?-- looks like you're holdig your own in school.

I hate negativity, it can really give a person bad karma. And besides, being depressed and angry is tiring. It drains the energy and spirit. Even if I'm going through hell, I'd much rather laugh than cry, you know?

Oh oh, and FB me [only if you wanna-- no pressure]: Shela Tst

Alanna said...

Isn't it?
Never heard of them. What kind of music do they make?
I'm not so much on mellow. If I'm going to listen to something quiet, it's usually Coldplay or U2. Basically, I need some darn good lyrics to be able to listen to soft music. If it's loud and full of guitar riffs, the lyrics can be as crappy as they want to be :P

totally. Who doesn't like to laugh?

I did ;)

NewYorkChique said...

Great post- yeah, I know a 'negative' girl...but I thik in her case, she thinks it'll make her look "cool" if she says everything is 'weird', 'boring', or 'lame'. Whatever, no one really likes her.

i go through negative bouts, but I'm never intentioanlly negative ot other people...I'm usually just beating myself up, lonely, or angry at the sky/world/nothing.

human nature is really fascinating...I hope to maybe take classes that touch on that in college! =]