Thursday, June 11, 2009

Review: The Host(Finally!)


I know I've been working on this book for about half a year(literally!) and I thank you all for waiting patiently for me to write a review.
I finally had some time when I was bored with nothing to do(I was sick over the weekend) so I sat down for a few hours and finally finished the book.

Twas ah-mazing.

I majorly suck at giving summaries, so I'm going to use the one from the book jacket.
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.
Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity was succumbed.
When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too0-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie Loves-Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to seperate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

This book is written by the author of Twilight, Stephenie Meyer. Just like in Twilight, Stephenie displays her amazing talent for forming bonds between the characters and the readers. I'm not sure how she does it, but she makes you feel like you know these people in real life. You become attached to them. You feel what they feel, you understand what they're going through, it's almost like you become one with the main character. It makes the whole book seem more real.

When I first started reading, I wasn't really crazy about it. But I knew Stephenie would never write something I didn't like, so I kept on going. For a good stretch of the beginning, there are non-stop twists and turns, keeping you hooked. Towards the middle is when it starts slowing down. It gets a little bit boring, but you have to stick it out because it picks up the pace again and then keeps going until the end.

This is definitely one of my new favorite books. I'd recommend it to anyone.

A tip: don't do what I did and read it off-and-on. Just read the whole thing in one big stretch. Read it at a steady pace, even if you begin to lose interest. It's worth getting through the slow parts and I'm sure if I had done that, I would've loved it even more.

Anyway, hope I've been convincing enough for you guys to go out right now to your nearest book store and by The Host!!!





2 comments:

Shela said...

Good for you! You finally finished it. Me on the other hand.. uhmmm, hehehe... let's not talk about it.

Anonymous said...

I love that book! I've read it probably 5 or 6 times now and enjoy it just as much each time. I'm eager to see what she'll come out with next.