Thursday, July 2, 2009

Review:My Most Excellent Year: A Novel of Love, Mary Poppins, and Fenway Park by Steve Kluger

So I honestly thought that I had already reviewed this.

I didn't.
But now I will because this book deserves to be gushed about!

Because I suck at summaries, I'm just gonna give you this one that I found on amazon.
In his first novel for young readers, Kluger revisits themes in his adult titles: baseball, romantic sparring, and social activism. Boston teens T. C. and Augie are such close friends that their families acknowledge them as brothers. Alejandra has recently arrived from Washington, D.C., where her father served as a Mexican ambassador to the U.S. Written in multiple voices and nontraditional formats, including instant messages and school assignments, Kluger’s crowded, exuberant novel follows the three high-school freshman through an earth-shaking year in which musical-theater-obsessed Augie realizes that he is gay, Alejandra reveals her theatrical talents to disapproving parents, and T. C. tries to make a deaf child’s greatest wish come true. At the center are heart-pulling romances (even a few among adults) and a broadening sense of what family means. A few plot twists will require readers to suspend belief, and the voices tend to sound alike. Still, the appealing characters are bright, passionate, and fully engaged in their lives, and many readers will lose themselves in this original, high-spirited story.

It was like this book was written for me: I love the Red Sox, therefore I love Fenway Park, Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies, and I love those cliche gay guys that are obsessed with musicals and the like.
The characters are absolutely charming, as is the whole book. It captures exactly how crazy someone you have a crush on can make you. It tells the story of true friendship and young love(and I sound TOTALLY CHEESY! But the book isn't)
Trust me, you gotta read this one(not sure if guys would like it...) I thank SunnyD a billion-and-one times for recommending this one. It makes me realize how well she knows me :P

Anyway, I'm sick of using all the same words I always use to describe things(i.e. awesome, amazing, etc.) so I went on thesaurus.com and found some words that I think describe this book perfectly.


absorbing, alluring, amiable, appealing, attractive, charismatic, choice, cute, dainty, delectable, delicate, delightful, desirable, elegant, engaging, engrossing, entrancing, eye-catching, fascinating, fetching, glamorous,

Oh-and fabulous.

Hope you all will take my advice and check this book out!

1 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much : ) I really loved it too, I gushed about it so much at my bookclub that people started to fight over the book, lol

Now that we're all acknowledging how well I know you- will you pretty please give City of Bones a try? *Puppy Dog Eyes* Please?