Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Movie Review: New Moon


I finally saw New Moon on Saturday! This review might be a little bit difficult because I'm not 100% sure how I felt about the movie. But I will try to explain it.

As some of you may know, I used to be a huge Twilight fan(I still have Edward on my bedroom wall), but since it's become this whole big thing, it's not quite as fun anymore. So I went into this movie with my expectations set kind of low. I wasn't planning on enjoying it, but I wasn't rigid in my views. I was hoping to be pleaseantly surprised. Honestly, I wasn't. But that doesn't necessarily mean I thought it was a bad movie. There were parts I loved and parts I absolutely hated. I'm not sure if I can sum up how I feel about the movie as a whole. Let's break it up.

What Alanna Liked About New Moon

  • The cast, of course
  • How Twilight was filled with Rob and New Moon was filled with Taylor. A nice switch off. It's always good to get the best of both worlds :)
  • That they didn't elaborate too much on the humans being eaten by the Volturi. I almost kind of laughed...but then I felt kind of guilty. Which is really stupid.
  • Jackson Rathbone. Every single thing that boy did was freaking hilarious, even the things that weren't meant to be. I've watched lots of Twilight parodies and, usually, they are very exaggerated with the characters' personalities-however, in the movie, Jasper seemed like a joke! His hair was about a half a foot off his head and he looked like a rapist throughout the whole movie. LOVED it.
  • The scenery. The opening scene was beautiful.
  • Taylor Lautner's chest-because you knew I had to say it.
  • The CGI. It was soooooooooooo much better than the first movie. The wolves looked somewhat real and didn't stand out extremely from the real-life objects.
  • The ending
  • The voting scene. Nikki Reed did a good job.
  • Alice's stolen car. That thing was bad.
What Alanna Didn't Like About New Moon
  • Kristen Stewart's constant pausing. I think the movie might have been an hour shorter if she didn't pause for a whole minute and stutter every time she was spoken to. It's fine in moderation, but when that's your whole acting method, there is definitely a problem.
  • Rob's chest was disappointing. But enough objectifying men.
  • Bella's extreme pause while running to Edward. He was about to kill himself and she stops and dramatically pauses to watch him, thinking "Oh noes, he's going to expose himself!", but, of course, taking those precious moments to watch him. Oh.My.God. I was about to yell at the freaking screen. Or punch her in the face.
  • How dark it was. I know the book was dark and the whole theme is that Bella was depressed, but they needed more comic relief. I think I could have counted the funny moments(the ones that were on purpose) on one hand. I'm not saying they should have made it too light and fluffy, but the monotonous darkness became exhausting and boring after a while.
  • It got a little bit boring. I will admit, I closed my eyes a few times because it wasn't interesting enough and I was tired.
  • The fact that Jacob's hair was long in the beginning. Granted that's the book's fault, not the movie's, I'll let it slide.
I think that's enough for now, though I could think of a million nitty gritty details. Hopefully this review was helpful. I also hope I didn't ruin it for anyone. I still think everyone should give it a chance, regardless of what I thought, because I lot of people loved it.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

austin rivers said...

Kristen plays a lot of teen angst roles, similar to the 1980's movies like Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club. I think she is very talented, but needs to branch out into new roles.

Shela said...

How'd you get the gift of telepathy? I finally saw it SUNDAY (yeah, waaay later. Even later than you) and I agree with everything you just posted. Like honestly from Jackson looking like a rapist, to Taylor's chest, to Kristen [and Robert] taking 12 hour pauses and losing their train of thought.

Shela said...

By the way, I have got to catch up on your blog. After next Wednesday, I'll be blogging and reading like there's no tomorrow.

Until then, here's a hug: *HUG*
Love ya! :D

Alanna said...

Austin-I agree. However, I don't know if she could actually do a different kind of role. But I would love to see her try. I think it would be funny to see her play someone loud and obnoxious-maybe that's just me. Anyway, thank you so much for reading my blog and commenting!

Shela-we are so brain twins :)
I need to catch up on your blog too. And write more on mine(turns out people besides my friends are reading it!)
by the way, did you see on my last post that I got invited to join a reviewing website? I'm super excited and I'm writing my first review soon.
*hug* love you too soul sista

Shela said...

Whoops, looks I commented on the older post instead of this one but here I am! Congrats on getting a spot! Looks like you'll be busier than ever now but reviewing is fun and I'm excited for you!

I remeber the day when you only had like 3 subscribers... now you've got a legion of readers!

You're doing an awesome job, my sista from another mista! ;)

Alanna said...

Thanks! I won't be too busy to keep up my blog, though. I have the lifestyle of a turtle. Slow moving with no where to go.

By blog has finally blossomed! I can't believe it's going on...2 years? Damn. Time flies.

Thanks again, my lova from anotha motha! <3