Friday, December 4, 2009

Music Review: "Waking Up" Onerepublic


I've been a huge Onerepublic fan since the beginning. I was , like the rest of the world, hooked by "Apologize" and "Stop and Stare". I started to listen to more and more of their songs until I grew to love each and every one. So you can only imagine how excited I was for their new album. I bought it as soon as I woke up at 5:50 A.M. I waited out the whole day until my ride home when I could finally check this new album out for myself. I don't want to give it a bad review because the whole album wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the first album. It's got a bit of a different, more cynical tone to it, but they stay true to their hip-hop pop-rock sound with the use of electronic editing and violin.There are a few songs I absolutely LOVE, so I think I'll just review those so that those of you who want to check them out without having to listen to the whole CD can do so.

1."All the Right Moves"-This was their first single and it's a pretty good song. I'm kind of sick of it now because I listened to it too many times, but if you haven't heard it, check it out.

2."Secrets"-I think this was their second single. And it's awesome. One element I love about Onerepublic that sets them apart from other pop-rock groups is their use of the violin in a modern and beautiful way, which is done wonderfully in this song.

3."Everybody Loves Me"-This song made the album for me. It has the greatest guitar intro, an awesome bassline, and, as always, Ryan Tedder's phrasing is unique, fresh, and absolutely superb. Not only is his voice flawless, but the way he carries out the words to this make you completely ignore what he's actually saying(I haven't the slightest clue what this song is about) and get lost in his magnificent voice. DEFINITELY check this one out, whether you like them or not. It's freaking AMAZING.

4."Good Life"-This song is perfect for a sunny, bright, and good day. It's about appreciating life and the lyrics make you feel good. Another one of my very favorites.

5."Marchin On"-This one has a great military theme, which they managed to portray perfectly in not just the lyrics, but the beat of the music and the voices. There's a part of the song where they sing,"right, right , right, left, right, right, right, right,left, right, right, right, we're marchin on" and it makes me walk with a perfect rythm. It shows a more hopeful, patriotic, and heroic side of war. It has the feeling of a proud soldier, marching on. You should definitely check this one out also.

Hopefully this inspired you to go on iTunes and check out a few of these new songs. If you don't want to listen, please at least try listening to "Everybody Loves Me" or "Marching On". Those two are my favorite.

0 comments: