Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Movie Review: The Princess and the Frog


I don't know what it was exactly that made me want to see this movie so bad. Maybe it was the animation, maybe it was the desire to reconnect with my childhood. Regardless, I went with my besties to the movies today and sat in a dark room with a bunch of little kids and loved this adorable movie!

The story follows a young woman named Tiana, who has worked hard her entire life and hopes one day to own her own restaurant one day. Meanwhile, Prince Naveen, who has never had to lift a finger his whole life, is cut off by his parents. Without money, he isn't sure what to do with himself. He meets Dr.Facilier, a creepy man who promises to make his dreams come true with voodoo. He ends up turning the prince into a frog. Tiana and the prince meet, he convinces her to kiss him, thinking she's a princess, and they both end up as frogs. The rest of the movie follows their journey to reverse the curse.

This movie had everything I like in an animated film-good music, a good length, an interesting plotline, charming characters, and enchanting animation. The movie took place in New Orleans during the jazz era, so a good bit of the music was reminiscent of that time-upbeat jubilent. The movie lasted only 97 minutes, which was nice. It seems like movies are getting longer and longer these days and I don't like sitting still for that long, so it was nice to finally have a movie that didn't take up my entire day. It also kept my interest, which even New Moon couldn't do. It was genuinly funny! The characters were cute and followed along the typical Disney lines. The animation was my favorite part, though. It was a feast for the eyes, with bright, eye-catching colors, beautiful scenery, and a prince that was actually pretty darn hot, considering he wasn't real. I also loved the combination of modern-day animation and the "old fashioned"version. The characters looked like they were from the Tarzan period, but the scenery was more modern. It was a good mix of both and they blended nicely.

I would definitely recommend this movie. It was definitely worth seeing. It was well done so that it was interesting for both adults and children. And Tiana is the first black princess! I'm surprised it took so long. I'm also surprised it took so long for a black man to be president. And both in the same year! Isn't it ironic?

1 comments:

Bella_182 said...

The Princess and the Frog was a great movie!
A movie actually for all ages.