Saturday, August 8, 2009

Review: Julie and Julia


Since I'm trying extra hard to become a movie-watching person, I've seen a lot of movies lately and I'm falling far behind on my reviews. I apologize if I post a huge batch all at once-when I get in a blogging mood, I like to go with it.

SunnyD and I saw Julie and Julia just a few hours ago. It's based on the book by Julie Powell, who Amy Adams portrays in the movie.

I'm stealing IMDB's summary because, as you all know, I majorly suck at summarizing things(I love detail!)
Julia Child (Meryl Streep) and Julie Powell (Amy Adams) are featured in writer-director Nora Ephron's adaptation of two bestselling memoirs: Powell's Julie & Julia and My Life in France, by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme. Based on two true stories, Julie & Julia intertwines the lives of two women who, though separated by time and space, are both at loose ends...until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible.

I guess I was kind of expecting this movie to be...what's the word? Fluffy? Alright? Plotless? I was pleasantly surprised because this movie was not only cheerful and adorable, it actually had a plot! It definitely was far from edge-of-your-seat-what-is-going-to-happen-next, but it was enough to make it interesting.

I'll give you a little synopsis of my own because IMDB's was a bit too fluffy, with no actual content-Julie Powell is tired of her job and wants something to distract her and keep her busy, so she takes up cooking. She plans to go through Julia Child's entire recipe book-complete with 524 recipes from France-in 365 days.
Looking back at the past, Julia Child is going through similar things. She also takes up cooking and begins to write/publish her own cookbook while in France with her husband.

I'd definitely recommend this movie. It's not a chick flick, it's good for all ages(13 and up of course, seeing as it's PG-13). There were young people and elderly people seeing it and everyone seemed to be enjoying it.

I'm trying to use different words because I'm sure you're all sick of "charming", "cute" and "adorable". My word to describe this movie? Charismatic.

Now I feel the urge to cook....

I love the movie's tagline:
Passion. Ambition. Butter. Do You Have What It Takes?


P.S. You know how at the end of movies, people usually clap? Well for some reason, Little Miss Queen of Weird(aka The Darling SunnyD) despises it. Back me up people-isn't it perfectly normal/good to clap at the end of a good movie? And can someone please try to explain to me why this irritates her so much?

2 comments:

Danielle said...

rotflmao, Little Miss Queen of Weird? Come on, I may have a few strange opinions on certain things (okay, a LOT of strange opinions) but do I really deserve that nickname?

And I've already explained why the clapping bothers me. It's utterly pointless, because no one's going to hear and appreciate the applause except the other people watching the movie.

Shela said...

Hahaha yes, I NEED to see this movie. I loved Julia Childs! She was even cooler when they revealed that she was part of the CIA:D